Warm salad of pan fried baby turnips, lardons, toasted hazelnuts and apple with a sweet mustard dressing
Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry you are!!
1 bunch of turnips, washed
1 bunch of radishes, washed
2 tbsp of hazelnuts
1 granny smith apple
1 pack of lardons
1 tbsp of granary mustard
1 tbsp of white wine or cider vinegar
2 tbsp of best quality olive oil
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1. Prepare your dressing. Place the mustard, vinegar, olive oil and maple syrup in a bowl. Whisk together and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2.Preheat your oven to 170 oc, toast your hazelnuts for 10 mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool then rub off the skins. This is best done using a clean tea towel, pop your hazelnuts in the middle, gather up the ends of the tea towel and rub on your worktop to remove the skin. Crush with the back of your knife and set aside.
3. Finely slice your apple, squeeze a little lemon juice over to prevent browning. Set aside.
4. Wash your radishes, slice finely and set aside.
5. Quarter your turnips. Over a medium to high heat, melt a little butter in a frying pan, when foaming add your turnips. The aim is to get some nice colour on them. Turn occasionally, when ready season with salt and pepper and tip onto a plate.(This should take around 5mins)
6. In the same frying pan, add your lardons, cook till golden brown and crispy.
7. Now compose your salad, place your washed leaves in a bowl, add some dressing, just enough to coat the leaves. Add the radishes and apple and mix well.
8. Serve the leaves on a plate, topped with the warm turnips, toasted hazelnuts and crispy lardons. Drizzle over a little more dressing and sit back and enjoy! xx