So here we go... the recipe.Not the prettiest of dishes but it's packed with flavor. Adapted from The River Cafe cookbook.... Enjoy!xx
Warm herbed Salad of Swiss Chard, lentil and chorizo
800g of Swiss chard
150g of Puy lentils, rinsed
100g of chorizo, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp of marjoram
1 tbsp of chopped basil leaves
1/2 tbsp of chopped mint
1/2 tbsp of chopped parsley
Maldon sea salt and ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, 1 finely chopped
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. Wash the chard, and cut the stalks from the leaves.
2. Cut the stalks into 1cm batons, and roughly chop the chard leaves.
3. Heat some olive oil in a saucepan and add 1 clove of bashed garlic. Over a medium heat saute the chard stalks until tender. Season with salt and pepper, remove and set aside on a plate.
4. Next, using the same pan, heat a little more olive oil, and quickly wilt your chard leaves. Remove and set aside on a plate.
5. Fry your chorizo until crispy( use the same pan and save on washing up). Set aside and make sure to keep all the lovely oil.
6. Place a medium saucepan of water on the hob, add the lentils, two cloves of garlic and the stalks from the herbs. Cook for around 3o mins on a simmer or until the lentils are soft but still have a slight bite.
7. Drain the lentils, reserving the cooking liquid. Pick out the stalks of the herbs and the garlic. Pour in 2 tbsp of olive oil, your chorizo with it's spicy oil. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Now to reheat. Place a large heavy bottom saucepan on the hob, heat some more olive oil. Add the chopped garlic and cook briefly to soften. Add your chard stalks and allow them to cook for 3 mins, sprinkle over half your herb mixture. Stir to combine.
9. Add the wilted chard leaves, spoon in your lentils and mix together. Check for seasoning. If the mixture is a little dry, add two or three tbsp of the lentil cooking liquid.
10. To serve place the warm lentil and chard mixture on plates, sprinkle over the remaining herbs and drizzle with your best olive oil. Enjoy!x