Wild Strawberry,acacia honey and almond streusel muffins.....
*200g Frozen Wild strawberries (or use normal strawberries or blueberries)COAT YOUR BERRIES IN A LITTLE FLOUR..THIS PREVENTS THEM BLEEDING AND COLOURING THE BATTER
*195g plain flour
*3g baking powder
*3g baking soda
*2 g salt
*96g unsalted butter
*94g acacia honey
*1 egg plus 1 yolk
*1/4 tsp vanilla paste
*57g buttermilk ( add some lemon juice to milk...not as good but its the best compromise)
*120g plain flour
*120g ground almonds
*120g caster sugar
*120g cold unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch pieces
*pinch of salt
1. Start by making your topping, combine flour,ground almonds, sugar and salt in bowl
2. Add your butter, and combine as if your making a crumble topping, do not over mix mixture, you want it fairly lumpy.
3. Place in fridge and chill ( the remains can be frozen up to 1 month)
Now for the batter....
1.Place your butter in the bowl of your kitchen aid fitted with paddle attachment
2. Cream butter on medium speed till you have the consistency of mayonnaise.
3. Add your sugar and continue to mix, scrape down the sides of bowl until the mixture is fluffy.
4. Add your honey and continue to mix.
5. Now add the egg and vanilla paste
6. Add 1/2 the sieved flour and rising agents,mix for 1 minute and then add 1/2 the buttermilk... repeat with remaining dry ingredients followed by buttermilk.
7.Remove the bowl, and scrape the bottom of the bowl until everything is well combined.
8. Transfer the batter to a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
THE FUN PART...making the muffins!
1. Preheat your oven to 210 0c
2. Line your muffin pan with papers.
3. Remove your batter from the fridge and let it soften a little..around 10 mins.
4.Stir in your frozen berries and then spoon the batter into your muffin papers... be generous...stop just before the top.
5. Sprinkle your almond streusel on top.. about 3 tbsps.
6. Place in oven and REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE TO 160 0C.
7. Bake for 20mins and then turn the tray... set your timer for another 10 mins and check if the muffins are ready (they are ready if an inserted skewer comes out clean). They can take between 30mins- 40 mins depending on the oven)
8. Allow to cool then enjoy with coffee, tea...or whatever takes your fancy!