Lentil, Drowned Tomato, Radish and Spinach Salad
Serves 4 as a starter
200g puy lentils
1 bunch of radishes
2 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
20 g mint
30 g flat leaf parsley
10 g tarragon
feta or any other cheese of choice (a hard goat's cheese would work too)
1. If using dried lentils, cover in cold water, add a little olive oil, and some aromats. ( Normally carrot, celery, bay, onion and thyme) The lentils will absorb the flavours whilst they are cooking.
2. Gently cook till the lentils are soft but still have a little bite.
3. Prepare the tomatoes, cut in half and place in a small baking tray, cut side down. ( the tomatoes should fit neatly). Cover generously with good olive oil, about half way up each tomato ( this will form a sauce for the lentils). Add the sliced garlic and a few thyme sprigs. Cook at 170 oc for 30 mins. Set aside.
4. Slice your courgette, salt and leave aside for 10 mins. ( This will remove the moisture) Wash the salt off then pat dry.
5. Heat a griddle pan till super hot, add the courgettes and chargrill each side, until your have nice deep coloured lines.
6. Chop all herbs finely and slice radishes.
7. Now compose salad. Mix the tomatoes and their juices through the lentils ( add little by little) to a correct consistency is achieved. Mix in the chopped herbs and spinach. Check for seasoning
8. Layer up on plates, with your lentils and then the chargrilled courgette, radish and feta on top.